All applicants must meet the minimum criteria for admissions set by the University of Texas Office of Graduate Studies and the Neuroscience Graduate Program:
In addition the Neuroscience Graduate Program strongly suggests:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- GPA of 3.0
- Minimum combined verbal and quantitative GRE score of 1100 (old scale) or 302 (new scale).
- For international students whose native language is not English a TOEFL score of 550 (paper), 213 (computer-based) or 79 (internet-based) OR an overall band of 6.5 on the IELTS
- An undergraduate course preparation that includes at least:
- 1 year each of chemistry and biology
- Mathematics through calculus
- Courses in psychology and physics
- Subject GRE is strongly encouraged
*The pool of applicants is extremely competitive and the majority of those admitted far exceed the minimum requirements.
**Because international students are not eligible for support through traditional funding sources, such as training grants and pre-doctoral fellowships, admission of international students who do not have their own source of funding is exceptionally competitive.